Thursday, December 12, 2013

Tiny Amish Quilt Ornaments

Pin It


I am still trying to make as many of my Christmas gifts as possible this week. My goal is to make gifts that are meaningful in some way but also cost very little time and money to create. Last week I made some really beautiful ornaments for the art lovers in my life. (Shrink Your Favorite Art ) This week I wanted to make something special for my mom, who is a quilter. I used the same basic technique I used for the "art" project but this time I used images of Amish quilts and skipped the beading. I obtained my Amish quilt images by scanning in an old calendar I have that features quilts from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania made in the 1900s. I sent the images in a Word document to Fed Ex office and had them printed there because it looks much better than on my ink jet, uses none of my valuable ink, and they can do it on white card. I think you could also make some really cute ornaments by making your own quilts using white poster board squares and marker pens.

Materials
  • Cut out quilts, size of your choice. (Mine rage from 1-2 inch square.)
  • Cord for hanging. I used hemp.
  • Felt scraps
  • Fabric glue
  • Tape
Steps
  1. Tie a knot in a loop of cord for the hanger.
  2. Tape it to the back of one of your quilts.
  3. Apply craft glue all over the back
  4. Attach a square of felt over the back.
  5. Trim the felt so it overlaps just slightly on all 4 sides, like an extra border.
  6. Repeat!






No comments:

Post a Comment